Monday, May 29, 2006

Busy Weekend

We had a busy weekend this Memorial Day weekend. On Sunday we had a memorial service for my grandfather. He died two years ago, but he donated his body to science and this spring they sent his ashes back to the family. So we got together for a little service or rememberance before the ashes were buried. Then on Sunday Katie graduated. Whoo hoo! I was not looking forward to this event. It was 91 degrees out and humid. There were over 250 kids in her class and the gym was not air conditioned. BUT sitting in the gym fanning myself the band started to play Pomp and Circumstance and the Seniors started walking in I got all teary eyed. My little girl was graduating!! She graduated with an Advanced Scholar Indiana Academic Honors Diploma. She did her mama proud! This fall she will start college at Indiana University to become a Pharmacist.

Today we had some friends over that we have met during our adoption process. They live about an hour and a half away. We met them online and discovered we were using the same agency. They have been to China twice to add to their family and have two adorable daughters Kendall and Isabelle. Today they came to meet Olivia for the first time. Olivia did better than I though she might. I don't think she was real excited about sharing her toys, but we had no major meltdowns and it was a good learning experience for her. She also did not seem to notice that the two new friends were Chinese. When my friend Julia brought her daughters over Olivia seemed to tense up immediately when she saw them and I wondered if it was because they were Chinese. This was also within about two weeks of us being home so memories of her orphanage may have been still fresh in her mind.


No comments: